1.5.09

on my mind - and other not so important trivia



I really love Hugh Laurie, especially as Dr. Gregory House (I really like him in Sense and Sensibility as well, 101 Dalmations - not so much), so is it any wonder that I thought of my cane-wielding fictional boyfriend when reminded that today is the 53rd anniversary of the availability of the polio vaccine? (Polio victims often require the use of a cane.)

Oh, Dolly - your sass, spunk, and hair just make you so endearing! I did a little dance and sang "Nine to Five" when I remembered that the 8-hour workday was officially instituted in the US this very day in 1884.

Who wouldn't want this guy for a dad? Happy B-day Paul Sr.!

The best things in life are free
But you can keep it for the birds and bees.
Now gimme money (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want)
That's what I want, ye-ye-yeh,
That's what I want.

The Canadian Fiver premiered 97 years ago today! The Phillipino Peso shares this aniversary.

Welcome Back Kotter was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I especially loved Vinny Barbarino, though it would be years before I realized he wasn't just some random rerun actor - I didn't even see "Grease" for the first time until at least 10 years later. Do you think when Travolta's character sings "it's electrifying" he's quoting an Ottawa resident when they used electicity for streetlights for the first time exactly 143 years ago today? Me too.

Other important facts about today:

* 121st day of the year - whoot, whoot
* Bach died on this date
* Wolverine opens today, Citizen Kane opened this day in 1941. Coincidence?
* Act of Union forms Great Britain
* Nauvoo temple dedicated in1846, Empire State building dedicated in 1931.
* Rodney King says, "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?".
* Dwarf planet Pluto gets a name.
* Elvis and Pricilla get married in Vegas.

7 comments:

Karli said...

Just visiting from your sister's blog to wish you a very happy birthday!!!

Randa said...

Hey I didn't know it was your birthday! What is going on here? Well i guess if it is your birthday and celebrate by looking up everything else BUT your birthday and sharing it then happy birthday but if this karl girl is lying then a very merry unbirthday to you!

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday and May Day!

Kathy T. said...

You little sneak! Happy Birthday (if it isn't just say thanks - cuz I'll probably miss the real day anyway)

OOOOOOhhhhhh,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LIIIISSSSAAA!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOO (voice inflection) OOOOOOOO YOOOOUUUU!!!
da da da dum da dup!

Stephanie said...

Ummm just pretend I was singing Kathy's song in Kathy's voice!
happy birthday to YOU!!!!

Julie said...

hey babe! sorry for wishing you such a belated birthday! it's a poor excuse, but I'm sure you understand when I say FIRST OF THE MONTH! lol aren't you glad you aren't RMing for your bday this year :D

miss you!

Joanne said...

holy man you are fun and weird and that's why I love you cause i'm the same except it's NOT my birthday but you rock!!! hope it was a fabulous one ( minus all the bad news) .