27.3.09

maybe he's on to something

A couple of months ago I was chatting with my mom on her cell while she was in a Walmart. She called me back later to tell me about her new BEST FRIEND. Apparently, just as she hung up with me, a gentleman approached her to ask her opinion on a good movie to give as a gift (I hope I'm getting all the important details of this story correct). She confessed that she had particular tastes and wouldn't be able to give the best answer and tried to continue shopping. Then this man asked about her accent. (He was clearly a new Canadian with an accent of his own, so I think he was actually hitting on her.) She told him she was from Southern Alberta and didn't think she had an accent. No, he replies, but where are your people from? She said that some of her family orignated from Scotland (true, but before the United States became an independant nation). Oh, I love Scotch, he replies, do you love scotch? My mom thinks that this may be an answer to her prayer for missionary opportunities and informs him that she does not, in fact, drink alcohol of any kind. He seems interested and leans in to say, "Well, actually, sometimes I like to bathe in it."

I laughed and told the story to some friends and thought nothing of it until coming across my new favorite blog (see the side bar - My Religious Blog) and found this particular entry. Now I'm thinking maybe he wasn't the nut job we assumed. Maybe he was GOLDEN!

5 comments:

Randa said...

he he he he okay that was hilarious!!!

Stephanie said...

Oh my. I can't decide if she is saying to bathe or not to bathe!
Would you hang out with me if I smelled "Scotch"?
Where did you find that blog?!

Kathy T. said...

My oh my Lisa!!! I just have to say that you are the best storyteller around! You always have the best "crazy" stories - I've ever heard!

What did your Mom say in response???? I think I'd just RUN!

Lisa C said...

After he told my mom he liked to bathe in liquor she just smiled and nodded through more of his weird info, like... doctors are more dangerous that guns. There was more I can't remember. And I found that "My Religious Blog" while hopping from blog to blog. I've read all his past posts. He guarantees a chuckle.

Cassie said...

Sorry Lisa... can't say we agree. We didn't find his "humor" all that funny :( However, the story with your Mom and that "guy"-- now that's just plain creepy! :P