The other day I was on the phone with my mom and cleaning out my under-the-stairs closet. I was also holding a conversation with my almost-4-year-old that was going a little something like this...
Josh: "Is it dark in there?"
Me: "yup"
J: "Is it dark in there?"
M: "Yes honey"
J: "Is it dark in there?"
Me, looking directly into his eyes: "Yes, it is dark in here. But why don't you ask me one more time."
Josh, looking a little confused: "Is it..."
Me: "Why, yes, it is! Now, go away."
I promptly sit down on a pile of Christmas boxes and extend a heartfelt apology to my mother, because recent anecdotal evidence suggests that Josh is every grandmother's dream grandchild - the reincarnation of all his parents' most 'endearing' traits. (If you're wondering, Josh gets his incessant chattering from me and his skill for pestering from his father - yes, my daily fear IS that my brain will start slowly trickling out my ear - why do you ask?) And now we get to the good part....
This is my downstairs (under the stair) closet. Because of the landing, you walk in, duck your head make a u-turn and crawl a little further.
I figure between my cordless phone, laptop, plug-in cooler and battery operated camping lantern I can hide out in here until my kids go to college.


9 comments:
Ha Ha! Love it! I wonder if your camp out theory would work on spouses when necessary? ;)
P.S Nice cooler... We have the exact same one. Only I've forgotten how to access it, in the maze of our own under-stair-storage clutter :P
Oh how I wish now I had some stairs! I think that is so funny! It is good that you have made it comfy as you kids are still little and you have 15 or so more years under there!
You and Harry Potter have the same hideout
make some more room - I'M COMING OVER!!!
I'm kicking myself - my fortress of solitude was made into the kids playroom - which they never use.... maybe a little renovation is in order.
You are crazy-funny! (But mostly funny.)
Too, TOO funny! Now I'll know where to imagine you are in the house when we talk on the phone!
Mom
sah-wheet deal dahling! I gotta get me one of those! and is it dark in there??????
It's a little dark, but I hang my camping lantern from a hook in the ceiling and it's, like, ambient-lighting dark.
hahaha, you definitely have me beat now!
that is great!! Love the idea, now all you need is a child safety lock on the door and your all set!!!! Also a do not disturb sign would be just right!!
Post a Comment